Human skin is a large, complex organ with a wide range of vital roles. From protecting us from pathogens to helping us maintain the right temperature, we certainly couldn’t do without our skin!
Did you know skin is the largest organ of human body, covering an area close to 20 square feet?
Skin has 3 layers:
- The outermost layer of skin which provides waterproof barrier and creates our skin tone
- The layer below the epidermis which contains tough connective tissue, hair follicles and sweat glands
- The dermis makes up the bulk of the skin and provides physical protection
- It is composed of fibres called Collagen, which maintain the thickness of the skin, as collagen can hold a large amount of water
- The deeper tissue which is made up of fat and connective tissue
Your skin aging will depend on different factors like your lifestyle, diet, heredity & personal habits. Main reasons contributing to wrinkled, spotted skin include normal aging, exposure to the sun, and loss of collagen. Other factors that contribute to skin aging are stress, gravity, daily facial movement, obesity etc.
Your Skin changes as you age:
- Skin becomes rough
- Skin turns slack
- Skin becomes transparent, due to thinning of epidermis
- Skin becomes fragile with age, due to reduction in collagen and flattening of epidermis and dermis
Argan Oil contains a lot of antioxidants like Vitamin E (tocopherols) & Ferulic acid (Phenolic acid). Vitamin E and Ferulic acid produce a synergistic antioxidant effect to maintain the skin elasticity, because they improve skin elasticity by downregulation of TGFβ (Transforming growth factor beta) resulting in a signal inducing fibroblasts to produce more collagen and elastic fibers necessary for the normal appearance and integrity of skin. They also protect skin against free radical damage which causes premature ageing and inflammation.
Argan Oil also contains ‘essential fatty acids’ or ‘good fats’ or ‘Omegas 3, 6 & 9’. Omega 6 especially helps to protect the integrity of skin cells and keeps the skin hydrated by locking water in so diminishes fine lines.
Thus, daily application of Argan oil on skin can improve the level of vitamin E & Phenolic acid which in turn will help you maintain the normal elasticity of your skin, reduction in free radical damage and thereby make you look younger each day.