Fact 1: Argan Oil is Unique to Morocco
It would be difficult for you to believe that an oil known as “The Liquid Gold” and possessing miraculous benefits for skin and hair literally grew on trees. But that’s true. Argan Oil is an oil derived from argan fruit which comes from Argan tree found exclusively in southwestern part of Morocco. It is the most expensive edible oil in the world.
Fact 2: There are 2 types of Argan Oil
Argan oil can be found in two forms: edible or food-grade argan oil, which comes from roasted argan kernels and can be ingested, and cosmetic argan oil, which is extracted from unroasted kernels, and is intended to be applied directly to the skin or hair.
Fact 3: Argan Oil can be produced by 3 different methods
Argan oil is prepared by 3 different methods
1. Traditional Method –
Dry Argan nuts are derived by removing the pulp from the ripe argan fruits. These nuts are then broken and the kernels are collected. These kernels are then roasted and crushed manually using a millstone to produce a brownish dough that is mixed with warm water for several minutes. This wet dough is then hand pressed to release a brown emulsion which when decanted for several minutes yields the argan oil. This process has a very low yield.
2. Method developed by Women Co-operatives –
Here the argan oil is extracted using mechanical presses thereby making the mixing of dough and water unnecessary. This method has a far better yield when compared to the traditional method.
3. Industrial Method –
In this process the argan oil is extracted from pulverized kernels with the help of lipophilic solvents. This method is primarily used by the Cosmetic Industry.
Fact 4: Cosmetic benefits of Argan Oil are due to its chemical constitution
Argan oil is composed of fatty acids (Oleic Acid & Linoleic Acid) and vitamin E which give it moisturizing properties and the potential to improve skin’s hydration.
Fact 5: There are multiple cosmetic benefits of Argan Oil
- When applied to face, argan oil may help protect against sun damage, hydrate skin, reduce signs of aging, improve skin elasticity and even help control oily skin
- Argan oil may prevent and treat stretch marks in their early stages
- Argan oil can help in repairing damaged hair
- Argan oil can be used a good relaxant massage oil
- Hope through this piece of information we could share some important information about the Moroccan beauty secret – Argan Oil. If you liked this blog, please share your views/ experiences / ideas in the comment section and we will ensure we address those in our future blogs.
Hope you liked this piece of content. If so, then please share, rate or comment on different social media platforms.